Durbanville Primary School is situated in the heart of the wheat and wine farming areas about 45 km North of Cape Town. The town is surrounded by centuries old wine and dairy farms. The ethos of the school rests on four pillars namely: Academic; sport; culture and spiritual. We can proudly say that all four pillars in our school share equal status.
The history of "Our Own" dates back to the previous century when farmers brought their animals to outspan at Pampoenkraal. After a settlement developed here, a school was established in 1851 for 105 pupils. Later the name Pampoenkraal was changed to D'Urban and in 1886 the name changed to Durbanville. This ended the confusion between the two D'Urbans, the one in the Cape and the other in Natal. The children from the old family farms, Loevenstein, Welgemoed, Stikland, Oosterzee and others, all attended school in Durbanville.
On 25 February 1827 Hendrik Francois Mellet was appointed as the verger and reader for the community at Pampoenkraal (Durbanville). As school master, he had to abide by the following rules:
- • He had to tutor the pupils in Reading, Writing and Religion;
- • Teach for six hours every day except on Wednesdays and Thursdays;
- • The pupils were to be treated with kindness and respect;
- • In his dress and behaviour the master had to set an example of neatness and orderliness.
From 1827 to 1886 fourteen different schoolmasters had already served the community. Pupils were taught in various buildings, even in the court room. In 1897 there were 91 pupils in the school and four new classrooms were built on the site where the present municipal offices are situated.
The Durbanville Primary School was established in 1955 after the Department of Education agreed to allow the Primary School to be separated from the High School. The first principal, Mr De Wet was appointed on 1 April 1955 and he was instrumental in designing the school badge, the motto, as well as the lyric for the school song. The music was composed by a music teacher, Mr Freddie Carle.
On 3 August 1955 the Education Department agreed to erect a primary school for 600 pupils on the site where the school building is situated today. The cornerstone of the school was laid by the mayor Mr G.C.A. van der Westhuysen on 22 August 1958 and on 22 October 1959 the school was officially opened by the Superintendent General of Education, Dr J.G. Meiring. In 1965 there were already 732 pupils in the school. On 23 September 1965 the school hall was built at a cost of R34 119 and was inaugurated by His Honour the Administrator.
On 1 October 1965 Mr P.J. Dreyer succeeded Mr De wet as principal. A complete three stream system was implemented for the first time: 1 English medium and 2 Afrikaans classes per class group. On 1 April 1975 Mr L. van Zyl was appointed as principal and in 1983 many new facilities were built. Mr M.J. Franken was principal from 1990 to 1997 and at present Mr J.C. Swart is principal. He was appointed in July 1997.
On 1 January 1966 the Durbanville Preparatory School moved to their own campus. This meant that only pupils from Standard 2 to 5 (Grade 4 - 7) would be accommodated at the primary school. However in 1991 the Education Department approved Mr Franken's application to once again start a Junior Primary Section. In 1992 three teachers were appointed to teach approximately 35 Afrikaans and 10 English Sub A (Grade 1) pupils. The growth was phenomenal and by 1993 there were approximately 128 pupils and 6 teachers for Sub A and Sub B (Grade 1 and 2). At the end of 1993 the Junior Primary was once again phased out. Thus for a short period from 1992 to 1995 there was once again a Junior Primary Section at Durbanville Primary.
We endeavour to develop our pupils holistically in a climate of love and belonging in conjunction with an interactive parent teacher body to become happy responsible citizens with strong Christian values.